ESNY classes can help you put more vegetables and fruits in your diet.
A small group nutrition class
Learn to make healthy meals your family will love in ESNY classes.
A woman and her daughter read and share a healthy snack together.
Learn to read and understand food nutrition labels in an ESNY class.
Eat Smart New York
Welcome to Southern Finger Lakes Eat
Smart New York!
The overarching goal of Southern FLESNY, a SNAP-Ed program, is to prevent and/or postpone the onset of diet related chronic disease among the SNAP/SNAP eligible population by providing nutrition education and obesity prevention services. Our team provides workshops, food demonstrations, cooking classes, grocery store tours, and community events for individuals who qualify for SNAP. We also work with families and other community partners to improve access to affordable, health foods, and fun physical activities.
Our target objectives designed to improve health, food insecurity, and hunger among the SNAP population include:
- increase consumption of nutrient dense fruits and vegetables, whole grains, lean meats and low-fat dairy products
- decrease consumption of sugar-sweetened beverages
- reduce consumption of low nutrient, high energy dense foods containing large amounts of added sugars, salt and saturated fats
- increase physical activity and reduce sedentary behavior
- improve food resource management skills
- improve food preparation skills
- increase access to affordable and nutritious foods
Last updated October 31, 2019